Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pre-arresting meditation

We're about 45 minutes out from my "arrest" by the Muscular Dystrophy Association. They're a charity and I'm a perfectly obedient, law-abiding citizen. Their arrest includes firefighters and a brand new, BMW uh..."paddy-wagon". It's an odd feeling knowing you're being arrested, a sort of impending doom right? I have money from my list of donating friends and I'm going in a luxury car, not exactly a customary arrest.

The theater of it all is quite convincing; the arrest, my parole officer Candace at MDA who emails me and calls me, a website with kids in police uniforms. It's just another Tuesday here in Seattle and I do believe I'm still not quite sure how to be about all this. I don't really have an idea of what I'm doing at this "event" which makes for an interesting new space; a space free of preconceptions. I may have thrown a fish and shoveled ice a billion times over my years, but never like this before right? Creating an act as new every single time no matter how many times you've done it takes an intention.

Having done charity events in the past with the Livestrong organization or running a 5k and attending info sessions about an organization's role in the community, I do feel confident in the way all this stuff goes down; you reach out to friends, family and coworkers to raise some money and enjoy the event. What's pretty exciting about this one is that we raised almost $200 from our customers yesterday and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing at this event. No bikes, no running, just a forum where we can be Pike Place Fish at a big, Seattle event.

No comments: